Days in the later life of a 1969 Triumph Bonneville and its new owner. Here it is saying "Please take me home" on May 1st 2007. How many things can you spot that are wrong about this bike?

Wednesday 13 June 2007

Blued pipes



Though I have not really been involved in it, the header pic of my Bonnie was the starting point for the recent (and for me unexpected) posting furore in the Bonneville Owners' Club group on whether blue pipes are a good thing or not. I have to admit its not that important to me, but since the first poster told me to take a bit more pride in my bike I decided to try and polish it off. Normal chrome polish just doesn't work, so down to Ace Hardware and asked for the most agressive rubbing compound known to man. Came back with a tub of something called Mother's (yes I know, don't ask) - which also happened to be the cheapest thing on the shelf. Result - disappointment and a sore thumb. As you can see the impact on the blueing is almost zero. It did shine the timing cover up nicely though. Open to (polite) suggestions on where to go from here...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

blue pipes are not something that can be taken care of with polish (as you seem to know by now). Chrome cannot ever be rejuvenated through polishing like cast aluminum. The best way to get rid of blueing on pipes is to get new pipes and make sure your carbs are not running lean. If that doesn't ease your mind, then you can always get some pipe coat from your local harley retailer (or other bike shops). You have to make sure if you are going to go the coating route that you do not run the pipes prior to putting the the coating in.

Hope that helps.

steverat said...

Thanks for the thoughts, anonymous. At last I have a good reason to go to a Harley shop.

Unknown said...

Simichrome polish is the best for getting rid of light blueing.

or get your chromer to put a "flash" chrome on your pipes again.

a properly jetted and tuned trumpet will not blue or yellow the pipes much at all. i use mine as heat indicators. they're sort of like having 'solid state' pyrometers.

best wishes and happy trails

Jim Sofra

Abbotsford BC