Days in the later life of a 1969 Triumph Bonneville and its new owner. Here it is saying "Please take me home" on May 1st 2007. How many things can you spot that are wrong about this bike?

Tuesday 5 June 2007

BSA Club Swapmeet, Auburn MA June 3rd








This was the biggest and also the wettest event I have yet attended in the USA. A shame for everyone that the heavens opened around 1pm just as the concours judging was closing and the contestants started leaving in droves. Fortunately I was able to find (i.e. stumbled on) an autojumble stall selling wet weather gear and got a very acceptable suit for $40 to ride home in and stay dry.


The autojumble was small but with some nice pieces, just look at that '69 UK Bonneville tank in its original Olympic Flame paint! I was very tempted but they wanted $500 for it. Moved on very quickly. The bikes were nice, there were some excellent restorations and a few pre-war bikes including an M20 from Rhodesia - and how about that lovely 1951 Norton International? Most of the machinery was BSA and Triumph twins however. The fans who came by my bike were frighteningly knowledgeable and I was soon in trouble when they identified me as English, got me talking about my motorcycling history and then started asking probing questions about specification differences on Triumph Bonnevilles. Does anybody know why some of the 1969 bikes have a small bump on the top of the oil tank, and some don't? (It is almost totally hidden from view by the seat subframe by the way). Met some great people, everyone was unreservedly friendly. Bought a timing disc adaptor, a Melco plug spanner, and a T-shirt.

No comments: