Days in the later life of a 1969 Triumph Bonneville and its new owner. Here it is saying "Please take me home" on May 1st 2007. How many things can you spot that are wrong about this bike?

Sunday 19 June 2011

Back after 4 years..


..starting with an apology to those who have waited and asked for more news.
Elli and I are now settled back in jolly old UK (Gloucestershire) and finally managed to give up the day job. So now I have much more time to devote to two-wheeled entertainment. Theoretically at least.

The Bonneville came back across the Atlantic with us, but said goodbye to us shortly afterwards. It is now the hands of a new and loving owner in Italy. It has been replaced by a cheaper - and sweeter-handling! alternative - a 1968 T100R Daytona. Thanks to Mike for the photo.

This bike has some quirks of its very own.
  • LHS footrest is 2" higher than the right. I'm not a speedway rider so I am busy correcting this today by filing down the lug which projects from the back of the footrest boss. Thats what Bill Crosby (Reg Allen) told me to do!
  • No crankcase fastening studs at the back - first time off with the primary chaincase, noticed daylight coming through the empty threaded holes in the back of the case! I'd wondered where those oil leaks were coming from! Have the correct item from TriCor and will be fitting them today.
  • Fork springs 2" shorter than the usual fitted length. Made for some interesting noises from the front end, but curiously did not seem to affect the handling much. Now remedied with a pair of correct springs, also from TriCor.
  • Seriously weird tyres from Kings Tire. I hope no-one will take offence, but these were the first thing to go in the bin. Now replaced with Bridgestone BT45s which are just super. Better than Avon Roadrunners. Battlax 3.25-19F & 4.00-18 rear, will just go in with a coupla millimetres to spare.
  • Non existent primary slipper tensioner - again TriCor came to the rescue here.
  • Loose mainshaft nut allowing the alternator rotor to clack back and forth giving a very passable impression of knackered big ends when the bike was on tickover. That was an easy one.
  • Rock hard rear suspension - I suspect 140lb springs. I'd like a pair of 100lb/inch springs to give my aged backside a bit more comfort. Anyone want to swap?
Apart from that it has all the usual Triumph vices, total loss oiling from the pushrod tunnels and from the rocker feed unions - its a wonder anything gets down to the tunnels since most of it is plastered over the tops of the rocker boxes after 20 miles or so. I have a pair of later tappet blocks and some alloy tubes which have been cut down to fit this head. Hopefully that will do it. More news in my next post.

Watch out for me it you see me in Bath!
I guarantee to wave back.

No comments: